Karuna, others laud Jayalalithaa for nod to release convicts
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi today lauded his arch political rival Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa for her decision to release the seven convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi Assassination case as the state cabinet move came in for praise from leaders cutting across party lines.
"This is not a quick decision. When I made this opinion [seeking release] in 2011, she did not accept it. However, today, I appreciate her for taking the same stance," Karunanidhi told reporters when asked if the decision could be considered a quick response.
The DMK chief also hoped that the Centre would concur with the state government`s decision, saying if that happened "we could be more happy."
MDMK chief Vaiko said Jayalalithaa had done a very laudable thing, adding it was a merciful humanitarian move.
"I greet, congratulate and thank her," he said.
CPI(M) leader D Raja said Tamil Nadu Government acted quickly and the decision was very much laudable.
BJP state unit president Pon Radhakrishnan said, "Any move made in accordance with the due process of law" was welcome.
Pro-Tamil leader P Nedumaran expressed gratitude "on behalf of the world Tamils".
However, there was a voice of dissent as well. While Subramanian Swamy (BJP) said the Cabinet decision was illegal, Tamil Nadu Congress Committee (TNCC) president B S Gnanadesikan slammed the move as an instance of competitive politics.
"Politics is happening over the Rajiv case in Tamil Nadu. After the opposition urged the release of three convicts, the government has come forward to release seven convicts," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door