Karuna questions land grabbing probe on DMK regime
Chennai: Expressing surprise over Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s announcement that special police cells would look into allegations of land grabbing during his regime, DMK chief M Karunanidhi said the probe should also cover pre-2006 period when AIADMK was in power.
"Land grab and land fraud are wrong. However, unless action is taken against all culprits, irrespective of the time period, such measures will only be construed as targeting a few," he said.
Jayalalithaa had yesterday said the special cells would probe into complaints of land grabbing during the DMK regime from 2006 to 2011 and take action against those involved.
Karunanidhi said the special cells could be misused by persons who had sold their lands earlier, only with an eye on the soaring real estate prices and claim their land back.
He also cited landgrab charges against Jayalalithaa and her close aide Sasikala at Siruthavur near Chennai. The CPI (M) had then spearheaded a movement demanding retrieval of land meant for Dalits.
However, an inquiry commission set up by the Karunanidhi government based on the complaint of CPI(M), had said there was no material evidence against the AIADMK supremo or Sasikala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday