Karuna rejects criticism over Lankan Tamils issue
Chennai: Rejecting as "mischievous" criticism that he did not take effective steps to save Sri Lankan Tamils at the time of war in 2009, DMK chief M Karunanidhi today said he had "sacrificed" his government twice and had resigned as MLA for the cause of Lankan Tamils.
"Some people are talking that we have not shown that much eagerness on the Tamils cause when the war was going in 2009 ....Whether somebody believes it or not, I have acted as per my conscience on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue," he said.
Tracing the steps taken by him since 2008, the 88-year old DMK patriarch in a letter to his party cadre said he cut short his "fast unto death" on the issue in 2009 only after the Sri Lankan Government announced it had stopped the war in the North.
"Indian Government had believed what the Sri Lankan Government said and on that basis I had ended the fast. Even the US had believed and had welcomed that," Karunanidhi said adding that Sri Lankan government`s "lie that the war had ended itself was a war crime."
"There is no need for any further explanation to such mischievous propaganda," he said apparently referring to leaders like MDMK founder Vaiko and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa questioning his recent initiatives in reviving the Tamil Eeelam Supporters Organisation and pressing for action against Sri Lanka.
"The Central government without delay should whole-heartedly support the US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka and announce its decision immediately," he said.
The TESO, headed by Karunanidhi, had yesterday given a call for a general strike in Tamil Nadu on March 12 to press the Centre to support the US resolution in the UNHRC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks