Karuna rejects criticism over Lankan Tamils issue
Chennai: Rejecting as "mischievous" criticism that he did not take effective steps to save Sri Lankan Tamils at the time of war in 2009, DMK chief M Karunanidhi today said he had "sacrificed" his government twice and had resigned as MLA for the cause of Lankan Tamils.
"Some people are talking that we have not shown that much eagerness on the Tamils cause when the war was going in 2009 ....Whether somebody believes it or not, I have acted as per my conscience on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue," he said.
Tracing the steps taken by him since 2008, the 88-year old DMK patriarch in a letter to his party cadre said he cut short his "fast unto death" on the issue in 2009 only after the Sri Lankan Government announced it had stopped the war in the North.
"Indian Government had believed what the Sri Lankan Government said and on that basis I had ended the fast. Even the US had believed and had welcomed that," Karunanidhi said adding that Sri Lankan government`s "lie that the war had ended itself was a war crime."
"There is no need for any further explanation to such mischievous propaganda," he said apparently referring to leaders like MDMK founder Vaiko and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa questioning his recent initiatives in reviving the Tamil Eeelam Supporters Organisation and pressing for action against Sri Lanka.
"The Central government without delay should whole-heartedly support the US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka and announce its decision immediately," he said.
The TESO, headed by Karunanidhi, had yesterday given a call for a general strike in Tamil Nadu on March 12 to press the Centre to support the US resolution in the UNHRC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past