Karuna requests suspension period of DMDK MLAs be reduced
Chennai: Describing the 6-month suspension of six DMDK MLAs for allegedly assaulting a dissident party legislator in Tamil Nadu assembly as "maximum punishment," DMK chief M Karunanidhi today requested that the punishment be further reduced.
In a statement here, he also recalled various instances of fracas and violence in the assembly but indicated that never was anyone suspended for one year (the original suspension period awarded to DMDK members on Monday).
"The reducing of suspension period from one year to six months is also maximum punishment. I hope they come forward to reconsider the suspension period and reduce it to a few weeks or days. I request them to do so," he said.
He recalled that two different factions of AIADMK had assaulted each other using microphones, while an AIADMK member was once assaulted a PMK legislator and both were suspended for three days.
In 1989, AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa, the then opposition leader, had protested against him, the then Chief Minister, presenting the budget while an AIADMK member tore up the budget.
"When I tried to prevent that, my spectacles fell down and broke. Minister Veerapandi S Arumugam was attacked and sustained injuries and AIADMK MLAs who were involved were suspended for one week," he said.
However, he had two days later sought to withdraw the ruling as he placed importance on the Opposition attending the House proceedings, Karunanidhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble