Karuna seeks hike in ban-period assistance to fishermen
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Monday sought a hike in the dole given to fishermen during the 45-day annual fishing ban period.
The present amount of Rs 2,000 would not be enough in the present circumstances and it should be increased to at least Rs 4,500, he said.
"This sum may not suffice to run a family but I request the state government to implement this demand of my party," he said in a statement here.
Referring to the spate of attacks on fishermen from the state by Sri Lankan Navy, Karunanidhi said such attacks and arrests of fishermen had become recurring incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Whoa! Deepika Padukone, Priyanka Chopra's 4-minute act at IIFA costs a bomb!
- S Asians disappointed over US apex court ruling on immigration
- 'Sad day for Europe, Britain,' says German foreign minister
- EU founding states to hold post-Brexit talks on Saturday
- Facebook Live to roll out Snapchat-like filters