Karuna seeks hike in ban-period assistance to fishermen
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Monday sought a hike in the dole given to fishermen during the 45-day annual fishing ban period.
The present amount of Rs 2,000 would not be enough in the present circumstances and it should be increased to at least Rs 4,500, he said.
"This sum may not suffice to run a family but I request the state government to implement this demand of my party," he said in a statement here.
Referring to the spate of attacks on fishermen from the state by Sri Lankan Navy, Karunanidhi said such attacks and arrests of fishermen had become recurring incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand