Karuna seeks hike in ban-period assistance to fishermen
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Monday sought a hike in the dole given to fishermen during the 45-day annual fishing ban period.
The present amount of Rs 2,000 would not be enough in the present circumstances and it should be increased to at least Rs 4,500, he said.
"This sum may not suffice to run a family but I request the state government to implement this demand of my party," he said in a statement here.
Referring to the spate of attacks on fishermen from the state by Sri Lankan Navy, Karunanidhi said such attacks and arrests of fishermen had become recurring incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption