Karuna slams AIADMK govt on handling of anti-Nuke protests
Villupuram (TN): Slamming the ruling AIADMK over the handling of the anti-nuclear protests at Kudankulam, DMK chief M Karunanidhi today charged the Jayalalithaa government with having no intentions and courage to hold talks with the agitators to put an end to the stir.
"What is happening at Kudankulam? People are apprehensive over such a big project started (with an investment) of crores of rupees. The state cabinet (last year) urged the Centre to allay the people`s fears regarding the plant before proceeding with it, giving hopes to them that the government was on their side," he said, addressing a rally here.
However, Jayalalithaa made a flip-flop on her stand vis-a-vis the project and as works gathered pace, protests also intensified, he said.
"There seems to be no intention and courage (on part of the government) to hold talks with them. They seem to control them by use of force," he said, recalling the death of a fisherman protesting against the plant in police firing early this week.
Police had also lobbed teargas shells to disperse protesters at Idinthakarai, the epicentre of the protests against the Indo-Russian joint venture.
People were asking how many more lives would go (before the issue was solved), he said, adding, talks should be held to put an end to the continuing protests.
In the next Lok Sabha polls scheduled in 2014, Karunanidhi favoured earmarking around 30 per cent of seats to the youth and another 5-10 per cent to women.
However, a final decision would be arrived at after discussions with seniors including general secretary K Anbazhagan, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Bernie Sanders to emphasise agreements with Hillary Clinton at National Convention
- World's most sensitive detector 'LUX' finds no dark matter
- Multiple sclerosis: 15 warning signs you might have the condition
- India vs West Indies 2016: Long spells on Day 4 helped me rediscover rhythm, says R Ashwin
- HEINOUS: 30-year-old man rapes 4-year-old; DCW chief asks 'when will Delhi be rape free'