Karuna slams AIADMK govt on handling of anti-Nuke protests
Villupuram (TN): Slamming the ruling AIADMK over the handling of the anti-nuclear protests at Kudankulam, DMK chief M Karunanidhi today charged the Jayalalithaa government with having no intentions and courage to hold talks with the agitators to put an end to the stir.
"What is happening at Kudankulam? People are apprehensive over such a big project started (with an investment) of crores of rupees. The state cabinet (last year) urged the Centre to allay the people`s fears regarding the plant before proceeding with it, giving hopes to them that the government was on their side," he said, addressing a rally here.
However, Jayalalithaa made a flip-flop on her stand vis-a-vis the project and as works gathered pace, protests also intensified, he said.
"There seems to be no intention and courage (on part of the government) to hold talks with them. They seem to control them by use of force," he said, recalling the death of a fisherman protesting against the plant in police firing early this week.
Police had also lobbed teargas shells to disperse protesters at Idinthakarai, the epicentre of the protests against the Indo-Russian joint venture.
People were asking how many more lives would go (before the issue was solved), he said, adding, talks should be held to put an end to the continuing protests.
In the next Lok Sabha polls scheduled in 2014, Karunanidhi favoured earmarking around 30 per cent of seats to the youth and another 5-10 per cent to women.
However, a final decision would be arrived at after discussions with seniors including general secretary K Anbazhagan, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3