Karuna slams AIADMK govt
Chennai: DMK President M Karunanidhi on Sunday flayed the Jayalalithaa government in Tamil Nadu for its advertising campaign listing its "achievements" on completing one year in office, saying it had spent a "huge amount" of people`s money.
The AIADMK Government spent Rs 52.14 lakh for publishing advertisements in regional newspapers and Rs 1.22 crore in national newspapers using public money, he alleged.
The state government on May 16 unleashed a massive media advertisement blitzkrieg across the country, listing its achievements on the occasion of its completion of one year.
Writing in his party organ, `Murasoli`, the DMK patriarch asked whether it was fair on the state government`s part to criticise DMK for the state`s poor financial condition. When AIADMK demitted office in 2006, the state`s total debt was Rs 50,000 crore, he claimed.
It is wrong for AIADMK Government to say that the total debt of the State was Rs 1.25 lakh crore when DMK demitted office in 2011, Karunanidhi said.
On fiscal deficit, he said as per the state budget it would be Rs 19,832.13 crore (in 2012-13) from Rs 13,507 crore (in 2011-12)."From this itself, one can understand whether the AIADMK government has taken steps to address the fiscal deficit or not", he said, sarcastically.
On the state`s electricity board reeling under severe financial crisis, Karunanidhi said when his party was in power, his government did not choose to increase the power tariff as it would only affect the common man.
"The Electricity Board would not be under severe financial crisis, if we had increased the power tariff then. But, we did not want the common man to suffer due to it. We continue to favour reduction in power tariffs," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception