Karuna "thanks" Jaya for denying permission for protest
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi friday sarcastically thanked Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa for police denying permission for his party`s human chain protest in black attire, saying the alternative plan of a pamphlet campaign had turned out to be more successful.
The party had initially announced staging a human chain today against the "anti-people" policies of the ruling AIADMK with party workers dressed in black outfit, but had to drop it for want of police permission both in Chennai and elsewhere.
Launching the pamphlet campaign here, Karunanidhi said there was no clarity on police permission for the proposed human chain till the eleventh hour before they declined permission yesterday.
"We were not worried about that. Because, if they had given permission, the protest would have been confined to some areas in Chennai, Coimbatore or Madurai. We don`t know why (but) Jayalalithaa has affection for us.
To ensure the protest is not confined in one place, they (police) declined permission," he said.
The party decided later that whether or not police permitted them, its supporters will go ahead with their plan to distribute pamphlets to people detailing various issues dogging the state under the AIADMK regime while dressed in black and it was proceeding well, he said.
"I thank Jayalalithaa for preventing our (human chain) protest and thus paving the way for this one," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Eight killed after jeep falls in gorge in Uttarakhand
- 'No past govts ever achieved as much as Narendra Modi did in past two years'
- Eight injured in bus blast in Haryana, government forms SIT
- CBSE Class 10th Results 2016: (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) CBSE 10th result 2016, CBSE Class 10th X Results 2016, CBSE Board 10th Class results to be declared today
- Watch video: Zeus the husky throws the most priceless tantrum; refuses get off the couch!