Karunanidhi appeals for calm over Cauvery waters
Chennai: Tamil Nadu and Karnataka should step up efforts to check bitterness among the people of the two states over the issue of sharing of Cauvery waters, DMK president M Karunanidhi said Monday amid reports of some violent incidents in the border areas.
Karunanidhi asked the two state governments to be alert and take appropriate action to maintain law and order so that Tamils in Karnataka and Kannadigas in Tamil Nadu are not harmed due to the dispute over sharing of the Cauvery waters.
Referring to reports of attacks on Tamils living near the border areas reportedly by Karnataka forest officials, Karunanidhi said: "The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Karnataka and AIADMK in Tamil Nadu should see to that the bitterness over the issue of sharing of Cauvery waters does not develop into enmity."
Karunanidhi said the issue should be sorted out through talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations