Karunanidhi appeals for calm over Cauvery waters
Chennai: Tamil Nadu and Karnataka should step up efforts to check bitterness among the people of the two states over the issue of sharing of Cauvery waters, DMK president M Karunanidhi said Monday amid reports of some violent incidents in the border areas.
Karunanidhi asked the two state governments to be alert and take appropriate action to maintain law and order so that Tamils in Karnataka and Kannadigas in Tamil Nadu are not harmed due to the dispute over sharing of the Cauvery waters.
Referring to reports of attacks on Tamils living near the border areas reportedly by Karnataka forest officials, Karunanidhi said: "The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Karnataka and AIADMK in Tamil Nadu should see to that the bitterness over the issue of sharing of Cauvery waters does not develop into enmity."
Karunanidhi said the issue should be sorted out through talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi