Karunanidhi asks Centre to give effect to Cauvery tribunal orders
Chennai: With voting for Assembly elections in Karnataka over, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Sunday urged the Centre to set up Cauvery Management Board and the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee to give effect to the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal orders.
Karunanidhi sought to remind the Centre on the statement by Union Water Resources Minister Harish Rawat that establishment of regulatory mechanism to govern the water sharing among the riparian states of the Cauvery basin has been "put on hold" due to the Assembly elections in Karnataka and wanted the Union government to act immediately.
"On behalf of my party, I demand the Centre to ensure people of Tamil Nadu get Cauvery water," Karunanidhi wrote to his cadres in his party mouthpiece `Murasoli`.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had also written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding that the Water Resources Ministry set up the Cauvery Management Board and the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee.
The Election Commission recently has opined that such regulatory bodies cannot be set up now in view of the Karnataka facing elections.
The final award of the Cauvery Waters Dispute Tribunal was notified in February after a gap of six years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed