Karunanidhi attacks Jayalalithaa over Cauvery issue
Chennai: The war of words between arch rivals Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK President M Karunanidhi over the Cauvery issue continued unabated with the latter on Tuesday questioning her statement that there was no need for an all-party meeting to discuss the matter.
On Jayalalithaa`s remark that Centre needs time to set up Cauvery Management Board (CMB) and that why he was in a hurry to raise the issue within a week of her Delhi visit where she had taken up the matter with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Karunanidhi said she seemed to be more inclined in supporting the Centre than showing concerns on the Cauvery issue.
He recalled that Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramiah, who had convened an all-party meeting on Monday, was also scheduled to lead an all-party delegation to Modi to press against constituting the CMB.
Responding to Jayalalithaa ruling out his demand for having an all-party meeting to discuss constituting CMB, Karunanidhi asked if it was "meaningless for Siddaramiah to hold such a meeting to elicit the views of all the parties."
"Convening an all-party meeting and getting their views will only strengthen the (cause of) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister," he said in a statement here.
He also denied any laxity on part of his government in getting the 2007 final award of the Cauvery Tribunal notified in the Central gazette as alleged by Jayalalithaa, saying it was a legal matter.
While Karnataka and Kerala had moved the Supreme Court against the final award, Tamil Nadu had also sought review of some of the provisions.
And with the Tribunal also required to give some views to the government, it cannot be published in the central gazette and till that time only the interim award would be in force, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery