Karunanidhi calls off fast on Sri Lanka
Chennai: DMK president M. Karunanidhi on Monday called off his scheduled hunger strike after the Indian government said it intended to vote against Sri Lanka on a "war crimes" resolution.
Karunanidhi made the announcement soon after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh made his government`s position known in parliament, ahead of the Human Rights Council (HRC) meeting in Geneva.
Karunanidhi was to fast here on Thursday, backed by DMK cadres all across Tamil Nadu.
The former Tamil Nadu chief minister added that a scheduled meeting of the DMK leadership, set for Tuesday, too had been cancelled.
The DMK has been pressing the central government, of which it is a partner, to support the US-backed resolution against Sri Lanka in Geneva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum