Karunanidhi calls off fast on Sri Lanka
Chennai: DMK president M. Karunanidhi on Monday called off his scheduled hunger strike after the Indian government said it intended to vote against Sri Lanka on a "war crimes" resolution.
Karunanidhi made the announcement soon after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh made his government`s position known in parliament, ahead of the Human Rights Council (HRC) meeting in Geneva.
Karunanidhi was to fast here on Thursday, backed by DMK cadres all across Tamil Nadu.
The former Tamil Nadu chief minister added that a scheduled meeting of the DMK leadership, set for Tuesday, too had been cancelled.
The DMK has been pressing the central government, of which it is a partner, to support the US-backed resolution against Sri Lanka in Geneva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'