Karunanidhi calls off fast on Sri Lanka
Chennai: DMK president M. Karunanidhi on Monday called off his scheduled hunger strike after the Indian government said it intended to vote against Sri Lanka on a "war crimes" resolution.
Karunanidhi made the announcement soon after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh made his government`s position known in parliament, ahead of the Human Rights Council (HRC) meeting in Geneva.
Karunanidhi was to fast here on Thursday, backed by DMK cadres all across Tamil Nadu.
The former Tamil Nadu chief minister added that a scheduled meeting of the DMK leadership, set for Tuesday, too had been cancelled.
The DMK has been pressing the central government, of which it is a partner, to support the US-backed resolution against Sri Lanka in Geneva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred