Karunanidhi condemns beheading of jawan by Pakistan
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Saturday condemned the recent beheading of an Indian jawan by the Pakistan army and expressed confidence that Central government would take steps to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
"Not just armymen but everybody with a national feeling are furious. It is condemnable and all Indians should condemn it in one voice," he said answering a set of questions in the party mouthpiece `Murasoli.`
The 88 year-old leader, whose DMK is a constituent of the ruling UPA, recalled that Congress President Sonia Gandhi had said India would never compromise on its vigil and preparedness to deal with terrorism and threats on the border.
He also referred to the stern message issued by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the wake of the gruesome incident.
"Ceasefire violation by Pakistan is something condemnable not just by the Indian people, but all those who believe in democracy," he said while also recalling Army Chief Bikram Singh`s statement that the personnel never violated LoC.
"We are confident that the Indian government will take appropriate steps to prevent recurrence of such incidents," he said.
Slamming appointment of Mohan Peiris as Chief Justice of Sri Lanka, he alleged this was part of President Mahinda Rajapakse`s efforts to establish his "dictatorship" in the "garb of democracy."
"He (Peiris) had (earlier) been the Attorney General. After retirement he took over as Legal Advisor of the Cabinet and had worked to defend Sri Lanka and mobilise support at the UNHCR when war crimes allegations were made (against Colombo).
He has now been appointed Chief Justice by the President. This is one of the efforts of Rajapakse to establish his dictatorship in the garb of democracy," Karunanidhi charged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India