Karunanidhi condemns beheading of jawan by Pakistan
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Saturday condemned the recent beheading of an Indian jawan by the Pakistan army and expressed confidence that Central government would take steps to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
"Not just armymen but everybody with a national feeling are furious. It is condemnable and all Indians should condemn it in one voice," he said answering a set of questions in the party mouthpiece `Murasoli.`
The 88 year-old leader, whose DMK is a constituent of the ruling UPA, recalled that Congress President Sonia Gandhi had said India would never compromise on its vigil and preparedness to deal with terrorism and threats on the border.
He also referred to the stern message issued by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the wake of the gruesome incident.
"Ceasefire violation by Pakistan is something condemnable not just by the Indian people, but all those who believe in democracy," he said while also recalling Army Chief Bikram Singh`s statement that the personnel never violated LoC.
"We are confident that the Indian government will take appropriate steps to prevent recurrence of such incidents," he said.
Slamming appointment of Mohan Peiris as Chief Justice of Sri Lanka, he alleged this was part of President Mahinda Rajapakse`s efforts to establish his "dictatorship" in the "garb of democracy."
"He (Peiris) had (earlier) been the Attorney General. After retirement he took over as Legal Advisor of the Cabinet and had worked to defend Sri Lanka and mobilise support at the UNHCR when war crimes allegations were made (against Colombo).
He has now been appointed Chief Justice by the President. This is one of the efforts of Rajapakse to establish his dictatorship in the garb of democracy," Karunanidhi charged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000