Karunanidhi criticises AIADMK
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Sunday criticised the AIADMK government for reversing his government`s decision to celebrate Tamil New Year on the first day of `Thai` in January instead of "Chithirai" in April.
"By reversing DMK government`s decision, AIADMK government has ignored Aryans and their passion towards Tamil, including the interests of famous Tamil scholars like Maraimalai Adigal, V Kalyanasundaram and poet Bharatidasan," he wrote in his party organ `Murasoli`.
"The decision of AIADMK government is an apt example for not respecting the interests of Aryans and their passion towards Tamil language," he said.
After assuming power in April last year, Jayalalithaa government had reversed the change made by DMK government.
In 2008, the Karunanidhi government had passed a resolution in the assembly to shift the Tamil New Year to January 14, coinciding with the harvest festival of Pongal.
Karunanidhi, quoting verses of Bharatidasan said, "Tamil New Year day was celebrated on the first day of harvest festival -- Pongal, as per the Aryans and not on the first day of Tamil month `Chithirai`.
"It is unfortunate that in the history of Tamil Nadu, there is a section of people, which is against `Tamil` and even hate the word -- Semmozhi.
"The AIADMK government reversed the DMK`s announcement (of changing Tamil New Year to the second week of April (instead of January). The resolution was immediately welcomed by BJP then. The intention of passing such a resolution can be understood now."
Noting that Tamils living in Malaysia were still celebrating Tamil New Year in January, Karunanidhi said when his party passed a resolution to this effect, it was largely welcomed by many political parties including Congress, the Left, the MDMK and the PMK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand