Karunanidhi criticises AIADMK
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Sunday criticised the AIADMK government for reversing his government`s decision to celebrate Tamil New Year on the first day of `Thai` in January instead of "Chithirai" in April.
"By reversing DMK government`s decision, AIADMK government has ignored Aryans and their passion towards Tamil, including the interests of famous Tamil scholars like Maraimalai Adigal, V Kalyanasundaram and poet Bharatidasan," he wrote in his party organ `Murasoli`.
"The decision of AIADMK government is an apt example for not respecting the interests of Aryans and their passion towards Tamil language," he said.
After assuming power in April last year, Jayalalithaa government had reversed the change made by DMK government.
In 2008, the Karunanidhi government had passed a resolution in the assembly to shift the Tamil New Year to January 14, coinciding with the harvest festival of Pongal.
Karunanidhi, quoting verses of Bharatidasan said, "Tamil New Year day was celebrated on the first day of harvest festival -- Pongal, as per the Aryans and not on the first day of Tamil month `Chithirai`.
"It is unfortunate that in the history of Tamil Nadu, there is a section of people, which is against `Tamil` and even hate the word -- Semmozhi.
"The AIADMK government reversed the DMK`s announcement (of changing Tamil New Year to the second week of April (instead of January). The resolution was immediately welcomed by BJP then. The intention of passing such a resolution can be understood now."
Noting that Tamils living in Malaysia were still celebrating Tamil New Year in January, Karunanidhi said when his party passed a resolution to this effect, it was largely welcomed by many political parties including Congress, the Left, the MDMK and the PMK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured