Karunanidhi denounces Lanka for anti-Indian, anti-Tamil activities
Chennai: Denouncing Sri lanka for "being continuously engaged in anti-Indian and anti-Tamil activities", DMK president M Karunanidhi on Sunday urged the Centre to exert `resolute pressure` on the island nation to implement the 13th Amendment to the Lankan Constitution.
Writing in his party organ "Murasoli", Karunanidhi alleged that Sri Lanka did not have any trait characteristic of a friendly nation.
"The Central government must understand this at least now and take resolute steps to get the 13th Amendment implemented in Sri Lanka," he said.
Tracing failed attempts to bring peace and equal opportunity for Tamils in Sri Lanka by India, and acts of "betrayal" by Lankan leaders, the DMK chief cited several historic events including the 1987 Indo-Lanka accord to buttress his charge that Sinhalese had unilaterally broken all accords with India.
"Violating agreements and promises made to Tamils continues to be the wont of the Sinhalese. The Union government must not forget that the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi declared in Parliament that what happened in Sri Lanka was only genocide," Karunanidhi said.
Karunanidhi had yesterday demanded that India not participate in the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meet in Colombo in this November and warned of protests and hoisting of black flags state-wide if its demand was not acceded to by the Centre.
He wanted Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to clearly convey to Sri Lankan External Affairs Minister G L Peiris during his visit today that India would not take part in the meet.
The DMK, which walked out of the UPA coalition over the Lankan Tamils issue in March, had adopted a resolution in the Executive that month, stating that India should boycott the meeting in case it was held in the island republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened