Karunanidhi files nomination
Tiruvarur: DMK patriarch and Tamil Nadu
Chief Minister M Karunanidhi Thursday filed his nomination for
the April 13 Assembly polls from Tiruvarur, his native town.
86-year old Karunanidhi, accompanied by his sons Deputy
Chief Minister M K Stalin and Union Minister M K Alagiri,
filed his papers before the election officer Jayaraj.
This was the first time in his six-decade long political
career that Karunanidhi is contesting from his home turf as
Tiruvarur, which became a general constituency in the recent
delimitation exercise. This is the 12th time he is seeking
election to the Assembly.
The DMK chief had his education in the then District
Board High School in Tiruvarur and entered public life when he
led an anti-Hindi agitation in 1937.
Karunanidhi has never lost an election since 1957 when he
made his maiden entry into the electoral battlefield.
He was first elected to the Assembly from Kulithalai in
Karur district in 1957. In 1962, he won from Thanjavur and in
1967 and 1971, he was elected from Saidapet in Chennai. He
won the Annanagar seat in 1977, 1980.
He represented Harbour constituency in 1989 and 1991 and
Chepuak for three terms from 1996.
Before filing the nomination, Karunanidhi paid floral
tributes at the memorial of his mother Anjugam at Kaattur
village near Tiruvarur, about 20 kms from Nagapattinam.
Soon after filing his papers, he started his campaign
seated in a mike-fitted van, appealing to the people to vote
for the DMK for continuation of `good governance`.
Earlier, speaking to reporters he expressed hope that the
DMK-led alliance will sweep the polls.
On the AIADMK`s manifesto containing several freebies, he
said it would not impress the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’