Karunanidhi hails TNA`s victory in provincial council polls
Chennai: DMK President M Karunanidhi on Sunday hailed the victory of the Tamil National Alliance in the provincial council polls held after a gap of 25 years in the former Tamil Tigers-ruled northern province in Sri Lanka.
"I welcome this victory. I hope the new government and its members, will work hard for implementation of the 13th amendment to the Sri Lankan constitution as expected by the Tamils the world over", Karunanidhi told reporters here.
The TNA trounced the ruling UPFA coalition of President Mahinda Rajapaksa, grabbing 30 of the 38 seats in the much-awaited polls in the province.
He condemned the frequent attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen allegedly by Lankan Navy and the recent arrest of 20 fishermen from Rameswaram while they were fishing in the Palk Strait.
Responding to a query that the some Union Ministers were pressing the state government to discuss the fishermen issue (with the Centre), Karunanidhi said "The state government has been writing letters (to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh) on the issue. Is that not enough??"
Chief Minister had today written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, requesting him to facilitate a dialogue between fishermen associations in the state and Sri Lanka here in December following frequent attacks and arrests of fishermen by Lankan navy.
Asked about the implementation of Section 144 and some political leaders being prohibited from entering some districts of the state, Karunanidhi said, "you (media) have understood on your own, without me telling you that the law and order in the state has become bad".
"But, due to `benefits` and `fear` you (media) are not publishing it (that law and order in the state has been bad)", he said.
On whether his party would contest the Yercaud bypolls, he said his party was yet to decide on it.
The by-election for Yercaud (ST) constituency has been necessitated due to the death of sitting AIADMK MLA C Perumal on July 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?