Karunanidhi joins issue with Rahul on river linking
Chennai: Coming out strongly against AICC
General Secretary Rahul Gandhi for his stand against
interlinking of rivers, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi
on Sunday said the proposal mooted by late Prime Minister Indira
Gandhi was part of UPA`s Common Minimum Programme (CMP).
Interlinking of rivers had also been part of the UPA`s
CMP, Karunanidhi whose DMK is a key ally of Congress-led UPA
in Centre, wrote in party mouthpiece Murasoli referring to
Rahul Gandhi`s remarks during his recent tour of the state
that interlinking of rivers would have `severe` environmental
"There is an opinion at the national level that linking
river at the national level perhaps is the only parmanent
solution to the water scarcity problem in the country," he
Pointing out that it was Indira Gandhi, who had set up
the National Water Development Agency in 1982 and vested it
with the job of exploring feasibility of interlinking of
rivers, he said, adding, the UPA`s CMP had stated that the
government would make a comprehensive assessment of the
project`s feasibility starting with the south-bound rivers.
"During the National Development Council meeting held in
2007, I as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu had asked the
Centre to take steps in implementing the river linking
project, which was mentioned in their CMP," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door