Karunanidhi joins issue with Rahul on river linking
Chennai: Coming out strongly against AICC
General Secretary Rahul Gandhi for his stand against
interlinking of rivers, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi
on Sunday said the proposal mooted by late Prime Minister Indira
Gandhi was part of UPA`s Common Minimum Programme (CMP).
Interlinking of rivers had also been part of the UPA`s
CMP, Karunanidhi whose DMK is a key ally of Congress-led UPA
in Centre, wrote in party mouthpiece Murasoli referring to
Rahul Gandhi`s remarks during his recent tour of the state
that interlinking of rivers would have `severe` environmental
"There is an opinion at the national level that linking
river at the national level perhaps is the only parmanent
solution to the water scarcity problem in the country," he
Pointing out that it was Indira Gandhi, who had set up
the National Water Development Agency in 1982 and vested it
with the job of exploring feasibility of interlinking of
rivers, he said, adding, the UPA`s CMP had stated that the
government would make a comprehensive assessment of the
project`s feasibility starting with the south-bound rivers.
"During the National Development Council meeting held in
2007, I as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu had asked the
Centre to take steps in implementing the river linking
project, which was mentioned in their CMP," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands