Karunanidhi lashes out at AIADMK govt
Chennai: Slamming the AIADMK government over handling of protests by Muslims against an anti-Islam film, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Wednesday asked as to why efforts were not taken to amicably solve the issue through talks.
Holding the government responsible for the developments concerning anti-US protests that turned violent twice - on Friday last and Tuesday, he also alleged that the police was being made a "scapegoat" in this issue.
He was referring to shunting out of J K Tripathy as City Police Commissioner.
"This (the anti-US protests) is happening for five days. Why were no efforts taken on behalf of the government to hold talks with representatives of the protestors and assure them that the issue would be solved amicably," he said in a letter to partymen.
He said mobs setting ablaze two-wheelers and the police resorting to a lathicharge to disperse the crowd reminded him of a battle-field especially in Anna Salai area.
Referring to other events, including allegations by Christians of desecration of a church at Idinthakarai by police acting against anti-nuclear protestors, he said the government was not handling law and order and related activities properly.
To deflect the blame, police department has been made the "usual scapegoat," he said, adding government has pinned responsibility on Tripathy for the violent protests "and transferred him in a hurry."
Had similar incidents occurred during the DMK government`s tenure, Jayalalithaa would not only have been very critical of the regime, but also demanded the dismissal of the "minority government" (as she used to describe it), he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi