Karunanidhi lashes out at AIADMK govt
Chennai: Slamming the AIADMK government over handling of protests by Muslims against an anti-Islam film, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Wednesday asked as to why efforts were not taken to amicably solve the issue through talks.
Holding the government responsible for the developments concerning anti-US protests that turned violent twice - on Friday last and Tuesday, he also alleged that the police was being made a "scapegoat" in this issue.
He was referring to shunting out of J K Tripathy as City Police Commissioner.
"This (the anti-US protests) is happening for five days. Why were no efforts taken on behalf of the government to hold talks with representatives of the protestors and assure them that the issue would be solved amicably," he said in a letter to partymen.
He said mobs setting ablaze two-wheelers and the police resorting to a lathicharge to disperse the crowd reminded him of a battle-field especially in Anna Salai area.
Referring to other events, including allegations by Christians of desecration of a church at Idinthakarai by police acting against anti-nuclear protestors, he said the government was not handling law and order and related activities properly.
To deflect the blame, police department has been made the "usual scapegoat," he said, adding government has pinned responsibility on Tripathy for the violent protests "and transferred him in a hurry."
Had similar incidents occurred during the DMK government`s tenure, Jayalalithaa would not only have been very critical of the regime, but also demanded the dismissal of the "minority government" (as she used to describe it), he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far