Karunanidhi mourns Arumugam`s death
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi today condoled the death of Veerapandi S Arumugam, and alleged that the late leader, who was detained under the Goondas Act over land grabbing charges, was forced to shuttle from one prison to another by the ruling AIADMK government.
"He was made to suffer by foisting false cases and detained under the Goondas Act," Karunanidhi said, adding that Arumugam was forced to shuttle between prisons in Vellore, Coimbatore and Tiruchirapalli.
Karunanidhi, who visited the hospital, told reporters that he was saddened to hear the news of Arumugam`s death the same day when his nephew Murasoli Maran passed away in 2003.
The former minister was arrested in connection with several cases of land grabbing after the AIADMK came to power in May 2011.
He was released only a month ago after a four-month-long detention. Arumugam`s detention under the Goondas Act was quashed by the Madras High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars