Karunanidhi mourns Arumugam`s death
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi today condoled the death of Veerapandi S Arumugam, and alleged that the late leader, who was detained under the Goondas Act over land grabbing charges, was forced to shuttle from one prison to another by the ruling AIADMK government.
"He was made to suffer by foisting false cases and detained under the Goondas Act," Karunanidhi said, adding that Arumugam was forced to shuttle between prisons in Vellore, Coimbatore and Tiruchirapalli.
Karunanidhi, who visited the hospital, told reporters that he was saddened to hear the news of Arumugam`s death the same day when his nephew Murasoli Maran passed away in 2003.
The former minister was arrested in connection with several cases of land grabbing after the AIADMK came to power in May 2011.
He was released only a month ago after a four-month-long detention. Arumugam`s detention under the Goondas Act was quashed by the Madras High Court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference