Karunanidhi, Murasoli editor told to appear in court on Apr 29
Chennai: A local court on Monday directed DMK chief M Karunanidhi and editor, printer and publisher of party mouthpiece `Murasoli` Selvam to appear before it on April 29 with regard to two defamation cases filed against them by the Tamil Nadu government.
Principal Sessions Judge P Kalaiarasan directed the DMK chief and Selvam to appear before him on that day.
The state government had filed the defamation complaint on Feb 8 over Karunanidhi`s remarks against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on the reasons behind delay in release of actor Kamal Haasan`s controversial spy thriller `Vishwaroopam.`
Karunanidhi in an article titled `Poonaikutti Veliye Vandhuvittathu` (The cat is out of the bag) had cited reports suggesting that a TV channel close to AIADMK wanted to buy the film but the producers had refused, saying they had spent over Rs 100 crore, a charge refuted by the Chief Minister.
He had also referred to reports that at a recent function Hassan wanted a `dhoti clad` Tamilian to become the Prime Minister`, an apparent reference to P Chidambaram.
Another case was filed by the government on behalf of a state minister over an article published by `Murasoli` on Aug 23 2012 where the DMK chief criticised the functioning of ministers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!