Karunanidhi, Murasoli editor told to appear in court on Apr 29
Chennai: A local court on Monday directed DMK chief M Karunanidhi and editor, printer and publisher of party mouthpiece `Murasoli` Selvam to appear before it on April 29 with regard to two defamation cases filed against them by the Tamil Nadu government.
Principal Sessions Judge P Kalaiarasan directed the DMK chief and Selvam to appear before him on that day.
The state government had filed the defamation complaint on Feb 8 over Karunanidhi`s remarks against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on the reasons behind delay in release of actor Kamal Haasan`s controversial spy thriller `Vishwaroopam.`
Karunanidhi in an article titled `Poonaikutti Veliye Vandhuvittathu` (The cat is out of the bag) had cited reports suggesting that a TV channel close to AIADMK wanted to buy the film but the producers had refused, saying they had spent over Rs 100 crore, a charge refuted by the Chief Minister.
He had also referred to reports that at a recent function Hassan wanted a `dhoti clad` Tamilian to become the Prime Minister`, an apparent reference to P Chidambaram.
Another case was filed by the government on behalf of a state minister over an article published by `Murasoli` on Aug 23 2012 where the DMK chief criticised the functioning of ministers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi