Karunanidhi objects to Lankan minister`s remark
Chennai: Objecting to a Sri Lankan Minister`s announcement that Lankan fishermen would rally against their Indian counterparts, DMK chief M Karunandihi Monday described it as a "planned strategy" by Colombo to divert off attention from the "tyrannies" of Rajapaksa government.
Traditional Industries and Small Enterprise Development Minister Douglas Devananda`s statement warning of a protest "seem to be a planned strategy by Sri Lanka to divert off attention from the tyrannies of the Rajapaksa government which are slowly coming to light...," he said.
"I believe Indian government would have realised by now that Devananda`s remarks amount to challenging it by provoking it," Karunanidhi said in a party statement.
Recalling that Devananda is an accused in a 1986 shootout case at Choolaimedu here, he said a man with such background making statements like these was against Indian fishermen and the Tamil people which "cannot be tolerated."
"Taking into account his arrogant talk, the Centre and the state government should take due action immediately," he requested.
Lankan fishermen would stage a rally to protest against their Indian counterparts for allegedly snapping their fishing nets and causing inconvenience to them, Devananda had said while
participating in the St Anthony`s Church festival yesterday at Katchatheevu, an islet ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH