Karunanidhi objects to Lankan minister`s remark
Chennai: Objecting to a Sri Lankan Minister`s announcement that Lankan fishermen would rally against their Indian counterparts, DMK chief M Karunandihi Monday described it as a "planned strategy" by Colombo to divert off attention from the "tyrannies" of Rajapaksa government.
Traditional Industries and Small Enterprise Development Minister Douglas Devananda`s statement warning of a protest "seem to be a planned strategy by Sri Lanka to divert off attention from the tyrannies of the Rajapaksa government which are slowly coming to light...," he said.
"I believe Indian government would have realised by now that Devananda`s remarks amount to challenging it by provoking it," Karunanidhi said in a party statement.
Recalling that Devananda is an accused in a 1986 shootout case at Choolaimedu here, he said a man with such background making statements like these was against Indian fishermen and the Tamil people which "cannot be tolerated."
"Taking into account his arrogant talk, the Centre and the state government should take due action immediately," he requested.
Lankan fishermen would stage a rally to protest against their Indian counterparts for allegedly snapping their fishing nets and causing inconvenience to them, Devananda had said while
participating in the St Anthony`s Church festival yesterday at Katchatheevu, an islet ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!