Karunanidhi slams Jaya on Koodankulam issue
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Tuesday took on Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for blaming the Centre`s "inaction" for stalemate in the Koodankulam nuclear plant
issue and accused the state government of adopting an "ostrich-like attitude".
It is a "pitiable situation" to see those who criticised me for writing to the Prime Minister on the Sri Lankan issue resorting to it now, Karunanidhi said.
On Jayalalithaa`s remarks that the Centre was trying to blame her government for the standoff, he said DMK wants both the Centre and state to ensure all safety aspects are
implemented and people are not affected in any way.
"Both the Centre and the state government should ensure safety to the people before implementing the project," he said.
Karunanidhi said he was willing to give his suggestions on the Koodankulam nuclear project, if the Centre sought his views on it.
Reacting to the Chief Minister`s demand that the Centre immediately notify recommendations of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal, the DMK chief claimed Jayalalithaa was raising the issue as an attempt to get an adjournment on her
wealth case in a Bangalore court on October 20.
Alleging widespread electoral malpractices in the first phase of civic polls in the state yesterday, he said DMK would move court to seek relief on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre