Karunanidhi slams Sri Lanka over N-plants issue
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Tuesday slammed Sri Lanka for raking up the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project issue, saying India "will do what is required".
The Kudankulam project was not something new and had been started many years ago and work on it is currently in progress, he said, adding it cannot be "accepted if they rake up the issue now".
"Indian government will do what is required," he told reporters at his residence before leaving for the Assembly to sign the MLAs’ register.
His remarks came a day after Colombo voiced concern over the possible impact of radiation from India`s nuclear power plants in the southern region, as it prepares to raise the issue with global atomic watchdog, the IAEA.
"We respect the right of India to have nuclear power stations. But our concerns are on the possible radiation affects they could have on Sri Lanka. We have already written a letter," Sri Lanka`s Power and Energy Minister Champika Ranawaka had said.
Kudankulam nuclear plant in India`s southern coast is just 250 km from Sri Lanka`s northwest coastal town of Mannar.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark