Karunanidhi takes oath as MLA
Chennai: DMK president and former chief
minister M Karunanidhi on Monday took oath as a Member of the 14th
Assembly of Tamil Nadu, where he would be representing
The 88-year-old veteran leader took oath before
Speaker D Jayakumar. His party colleague and former law
minister Durai Murugan also took oath.
The two leaders had not taken oath on May 23, when the
first session of the House convened under Protem speaker CK
Thamizharasan for oath-taking as they had left for Delhi to
meet Karunanidhi`s jailed daughter Kanimozhi.
Kanimozhi is in Tihar jail in Delhi on bribery charges
in connection with the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
Asked how his party would perform in the Assembly,
Karunanidhi said, "observe closely".
Till recently in the saddle of power, the DMK was
unseated by the J Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK following the
latter`s spectacular victory in the April 13 Assembly polls.
In fact, the ruling party was relegated to a tame
third spot in the Assembly by virtue of scoring fewer number
of seats than actor-politician Vijayakant`s DMDK.
DMDK is now the principal Opposition party and
Vijayakant the Opposition Leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune