Karunanidhi takes oath as MLA
Chennai: DMK president and former chief
minister M Karunanidhi on Monday took oath as a Member of the 14th
Assembly of Tamil Nadu, where he would be representing
The 88-year-old veteran leader took oath before
Speaker D Jayakumar. His party colleague and former law
minister Durai Murugan also took oath.
The two leaders had not taken oath on May 23, when the
first session of the House convened under Protem speaker CK
Thamizharasan for oath-taking as they had left for Delhi to
meet Karunanidhi`s jailed daughter Kanimozhi.
Kanimozhi is in Tihar jail in Delhi on bribery charges
in connection with the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
Asked how his party would perform in the Assembly,
Karunanidhi said, "observe closely".
Till recently in the saddle of power, the DMK was
unseated by the J Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK following the
latter`s spectacular victory in the April 13 Assembly polls.
In fact, the ruling party was relegated to a tame
third spot in the Assembly by virtue of scoring fewer number
of seats than actor-politician Vijayakant`s DMDK.
DMDK is now the principal Opposition party and
Vijayakant the Opposition Leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city