Karunanidhi takes oath as MLA
Chennai: DMK president and former chief
minister M Karunanidhi on Monday took oath as a Member of the 14th
Assembly of Tamil Nadu, where he would be representing
The 88-year-old veteran leader took oath before
Speaker D Jayakumar. His party colleague and former law
minister Durai Murugan also took oath.
The two leaders had not taken oath on May 23, when the
first session of the House convened under Protem speaker CK
Thamizharasan for oath-taking as they had left for Delhi to
meet Karunanidhi`s jailed daughter Kanimozhi.
Kanimozhi is in Tihar jail in Delhi on bribery charges
in connection with the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
Asked how his party would perform in the Assembly,
Karunanidhi said, "observe closely".
Till recently in the saddle of power, the DMK was
unseated by the J Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK following the
latter`s spectacular victory in the April 13 Assembly polls.
In fact, the ruling party was relegated to a tame
third spot in the Assembly by virtue of scoring fewer number
of seats than actor-politician Vijayakant`s DMDK.
DMDK is now the principal Opposition party and
Vijayakant the Opposition Leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried