Karunanidhi takes oath as MLA
Chennai: DMK president and former chief
minister M Karunanidhi on Monday took oath as a Member of the 14th
Assembly of Tamil Nadu, where he would be representing
The 88-year-old veteran leader took oath before
Speaker D Jayakumar. His party colleague and former law
minister Durai Murugan also took oath.
The two leaders had not taken oath on May 23, when the
first session of the House convened under Protem speaker CK
Thamizharasan for oath-taking as they had left for Delhi to
meet Karunanidhi`s jailed daughter Kanimozhi.
Kanimozhi is in Tihar jail in Delhi on bribery charges
in connection with the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
Asked how his party would perform in the Assembly,
Karunanidhi said, "observe closely".
Till recently in the saddle of power, the DMK was
unseated by the J Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK following the
latter`s spectacular victory in the April 13 Assembly polls.
In fact, the ruling party was relegated to a tame
third spot in the Assembly by virtue of scoring fewer number
of seats than actor-politician Vijayakant`s DMDK.
DMDK is now the principal Opposition party and
Vijayakant the Opposition Leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof