Karunanidhi wants Rajiv Gandhi assassination case convicts released
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Wednesday hoped the central government gives its nod to release the seven convicts in former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
Responding to the state government`s decision Wednesday to release the convicts, Karunanidhi said: "The centre has to give its sanction. I hope the centre would give its sanction."
However, he said the decision could have been taken in 2011 itself.
On compensation for the convicts for the delayed decision, Karunanidhi said: "Nobody has spoken to us about that. We have not thought about that. If there is such a demand then it is for the government to decide."
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa announced in the assembly her government`s decision to set free all the seven convicts – V Sriharan alias Murugan, AG Perarivalan alias Arivu, T Suthendraraja alias Santhan, Nalini, Robert Payas, Jayakumar and Ravichandran.
The decision was taken in the cabinet meeting held Wednesday.
She said the state government`s decision will be sent to the centre. If it does not respond within three days, the state government would release all the seven convicts.
Former prime minister Gandhi was killed in May 1991. The conspirators were convicted by a TADA court in January 1998 and were awarded death sentence, which was confirmed by the apex court May 11, 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case