Karunanidhi wants relief for non-Cauvery delta farmers too
Chennai: Criticising the AIADMK government`s announcement to award a relief of Rs 15,000 per acre to farmers in Cauvery delta districts, DMK chief M Karunanidhi today insisted that drought-hit farmers in other districts in the state also be given compensation.
"There has been a disparity among farmers in terms of relief, as announced by Chief Minister in the Assembly. But, this disparity has now been widened, as this relief is not applicable to farmers hit by drought in districts other than Cauvery delta," the 89-year-old DMK patriarch said in a statement.
"I insist that the relief announced to Cauvery delta farmers be increased and farmers in other districts be given necessary relief without any delay," he added.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had announced in the Assembly a relief package worth over Rs 2000 crore, including Rs 15,000 per acre, as compensation for crop loss in the wake of failure of monsoon and river-sharing dispute with neighbouring Karnataka.
She had also said that with deficient rainfall across the state, 31 districts other than Chennai will be declared as "drought-hit" and land tax for farmers will be waived here.
Karunanidhi also alleged that the breakup of the compensation of Rs 15000 included the disaster relief of Rs 5000 and national crop insurance of Rs 8692.
He also alleged that ministers visited the affected areas and added another Rs 1308 to make it Rs 15000, which has now been announced by the Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know