Karunanidhi wants relief for non-Cauvery delta farmers too
Chennai: Criticising the AIADMK government`s announcement to award a relief of Rs 15,000 per acre to farmers in Cauvery delta districts, DMK chief M Karunanidhi today insisted that drought-hit farmers in other districts in the state also be given compensation.
"There has been a disparity among farmers in terms of relief, as announced by Chief Minister in the Assembly. But, this disparity has now been widened, as this relief is not applicable to farmers hit by drought in districts other than Cauvery delta," the 89-year-old DMK patriarch said in a statement.
"I insist that the relief announced to Cauvery delta farmers be increased and farmers in other districts be given necessary relief without any delay," he added.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had announced in the Assembly a relief package worth over Rs 2000 crore, including Rs 15,000 per acre, as compensation for crop loss in the wake of failure of monsoon and river-sharing dispute with neighbouring Karnataka.
She had also said that with deficient rainfall across the state, 31 districts other than Chennai will be declared as "drought-hit" and land tax for farmers will be waived here.
Karunanidhi also alleged that the breakup of the compensation of Rs 15000 included the disaster relief of Rs 5000 and national crop insurance of Rs 8692.
He also alleged that ministers visited the affected areas and added another Rs 1308 to make it Rs 15000, which has now been announced by the Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- SHOCKING! Star wrestler Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio participation doubtful
- What Diljit Dosanjh said about 'Phillauri' co-star Anushka Sharma will melt your heart! - Read here
- DDA's next housing scheme could be completely online
- Now tune into popular FM radio stations on trains with Rail Radio Service
- MCI could be dead; new body may nurse medical education in India