Karunanidhi writes to President, PM, seeking Bharat Ratna for CN Annadurai
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Sunday wrote to President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking conferment of "Bharat Ratna" for party founder and Dravidian idealogue CN Annadurai.
"The founder leader of the DMK, Arignar Anna (Annadurai) is a great social reformer, great writer, orator and litterateur of Tamil Nadu. His literary and political works both in Tamil and English has been acclaimed as among the best in Tamil Nadu," Karunanidhi said in identical letters to Mukherjee and Modi.
Stating that Anna fully deserved to be honoured with the highest civilian award, Karunanidhi requested that the late leader be "conferred the award during the ensuing Republic Day."
Far from being the founder of DMK, Annadurai (1908-69) was the ideological fountainhead of major Dravidian parties including AIADMK and MDMK and the tallest Dravidian leader in Tamil Nadu.
Fondly addressed as "Anna" (elder brother) he was the brightest disciple of reformist leader Periyar E V Ramasamy (1878-1973).
He founded the DMK in 1949 after differences of opinion with his mentor. Acclaimed as one of the best orators of Tamil, he was a master orator in English as well.
He mesmerised the masses through his impeccable and flowery speeches in Tamil.
Under his leadership, the DMK stormed to power in 1967 ousting the then powerful Congress in Tamil Nadu.
He was the Chief Minister of the then "Madras State" between 1967-69 and he changed the name of the State to "Tamil Nadu" through legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’