Keen on AIIMS in TN in first phase, Jaya writes to PM
Chennai: Hailing the Centre`s move to set up All India Institute of Medical Sciences in all states in a phased manner, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has requested Prime Minister Narendra Modi to establish it in Tamil Nadu during the current financial year itself.
Thanking Modi for the initiative in a letter to him on June 18, she said her government had already identified land in five districts with "excellent" connectivity and sufficient water and electricity facilities.
Jayalalithaa said she was very keen that an institution of the stature of AIIMS be established in Tamil Nadu as it would augment the facilities for providing quality medical education to benefit the poor and middle classes.
"Tamil Nadu has a proud record of speedy implementation of such projects and hence I request you to kindly ensure that it is included in the list of states in which an AIIMS would be set up during the current financial year itself," she said.
Noting that the Union Health Ministry has written to the state government asking it to specify "three or four" locations for setting up of an AIIMS, Jayalalilthaa said it had identified land in Kancheepuram, Pudukottai,Thanjavur, Erode and in Madurai districts.
"Sufficient water and electricity are also available at all the five places, which also have excellent rail and air connectivity," she said, adding that she had directed the state officials to provide all the details required by the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in