Kerala police accused of hindering maintenance work at dam
Theni (TN): Tamil Nadu PWD engineers were
allegedly prevented by Kerala police from carrying out
maintenance work at Mullaiperiyar Dam in Kerala`s Idduki
district, officials here said.
The workers involved in painting and oiling sluices at the
Main dam, Baby dam and Gallery areas for about a month, were
warned against continuing the work and chased away by a 15
member Kerala police team last night, Kannan, Assistant PWD
Executive Engineer, told reporters here today.
This was despite the officials showing the Government
order to undertake repairs and maintenance work, he said.
PWD officials had informed the Tamil Nadu government of the
incident, he said.
He said the job of Kerala police at the site was
restricted to prevent strangers from entering the dam area.
Both Tamil Nadu and Kerala are locked in a bitter tussle
over the centuruy old dam, which caters to the irrigation and
drinking water needs of Tamil Nadu.
Kerala, citing the safety of the dam, wants to demolish
the existing structure and construct a new one at an
alternative location, which Tamil Nadu is opposed to.
The issue is pending before the Supreme Court, which
recently set up a committee to look into all aspects of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review