Kerala police accused of hindering maintenance work at dam
Theni (TN): Tamil Nadu PWD engineers were
allegedly prevented by Kerala police from carrying out
maintenance work at Mullaiperiyar Dam in Kerala`s Idduki
district, officials here said.
The workers involved in painting and oiling sluices at the
Main dam, Baby dam and Gallery areas for about a month, were
warned against continuing the work and chased away by a 15
member Kerala police team last night, Kannan, Assistant PWD
Executive Engineer, told reporters here today.
This was despite the officials showing the Government
order to undertake repairs and maintenance work, he said.
PWD officials had informed the Tamil Nadu government of the
incident, he said.
He said the job of Kerala police at the site was
restricted to prevent strangers from entering the dam area.
Both Tamil Nadu and Kerala are locked in a bitter tussle
over the centuruy old dam, which caters to the irrigation and
drinking water needs of Tamil Nadu.
Kerala, citing the safety of the dam, wants to demolish
the existing structure and construct a new one at an
alternative location, which Tamil Nadu is opposed to.
The issue is pending before the Supreme Court, which
recently set up a committee to look into all aspects of the
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!