KNPP: Centre mulls over TN`s demand for entire power
Chennai: The Centre is looking into Tamil
Nadu`s demand for allocation of entire power to be generated
from the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant, Minister of State in
the PMO, V Narayanasamy today said.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is already looking into it
and I will also take up the matter with him," Narayanasamy
told reporters here.
Narayanasamy said he was aware of the power shortage in the
state, adding, he will request Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
to consider Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s plea in this
He said the first unit at KNPP to generate 1000 MW will be
commissioned in two months and the next in another two
months. This will pave the way for generation of 2000 MW in
the next four months.
In a letter to Singh recently, Jayalalithaa had pointed out
that of the 2000 MW to be generated by two units in KNPP,
Tamil Nadu had been allocated a share of 925 MW only and
demanded that the entire power be given to the state in view
of the "severe power shortage."
The Tamil Nadu cabinet had on March 19 given the go-ahead
for commencement of work at the plant which remained stalled
for several months following protest by anti-nuclear activists
and locals led by People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy
citing safety concerns.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata