KNPP first unit to touch optimum power production shortly
Virudhunagar: The Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant`s first unit would reach its full capacity of producing 1,000 MW of power soon, a top official of the plant said here on Thursday.
The first unit is now generating 75 per cent of its capacity. It would reach 100 per cent "shortly", KNPP station director R S Sunder said at a function here.
The country`s first 1,000 MW pressurised water reactor of the Indo-Russian joint venture project attained criticality (start of nuclear fission process) in July last year and commenced electricity generation in October.
The 1000 MW second unit is likely to attain criticality by June.
The commissioning of the plant was delayed considerably due to the protest spearheaded by the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery