KNPP first unit to touch optimum power production shortly
Virudhunagar: The Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant`s first unit would reach its full capacity of producing 1,000 MW of power soon, a top official of the plant said here on Thursday.
The first unit is now generating 75 per cent of its capacity. It would reach 100 per cent "shortly", KNPP station director R S Sunder said at a function here.
The country`s first 1,000 MW pressurised water reactor of the Indo-Russian joint venture project attained criticality (start of nuclear fission process) in July last year and commenced electricity generation in October.
The 1000 MW second unit is likely to attain criticality by June.
The commissioning of the plant was delayed considerably due to the protest spearheaded by the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?