KNPP first unit to touch optimum power production shortly
Virudhunagar: The Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant`s first unit would reach its full capacity of producing 1,000 MW of power soon, a top official of the plant said here on Thursday.
The first unit is now generating 75 per cent of its capacity. It would reach 100 per cent "shortly", KNPP station director R S Sunder said at a function here.
The country`s first 1,000 MW pressurised water reactor of the Indo-Russian joint venture project attained criticality (start of nuclear fission process) in July last year and commenced electricity generation in October.
The 1000 MW second unit is likely to attain criticality by June.
The commissioning of the plant was delayed considerably due to the protest spearheaded by the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog