KNPP first unit to touch optimum power production shortly
Virudhunagar: The Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant`s first unit would reach its full capacity of producing 1,000 MW of power soon, a top official of the plant said here on Thursday.
The first unit is now generating 75 per cent of its capacity. It would reach 100 per cent "shortly", KNPP station director R S Sunder said at a function here.
The country`s first 1,000 MW pressurised water reactor of the Indo-Russian joint venture project attained criticality (start of nuclear fission process) in July last year and commenced electricity generation in October.
The 1000 MW second unit is likely to attain criticality by June.
The commissioning of the plant was delayed considerably due to the protest spearheaded by the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Cuteness alert! Insanely adorable pictures of 'Ye Hai Mohabbatein' fame Ruhaanika Dhawan
- Mother Sofia Hayat displays her singing talent - Watch video
- Mercedes, GE among 'Make in India' investors
- 1st Test, Day 1: Steve Smith-led Australia in driver's seat after bowling out Sri Lanka for 117
- 'Kabali' Rajinikanth follows just one politician on Twitter; he is PM Narendra Modi