KNPP first unit to touch optimum power production shortly
Virudhunagar: The Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant`s first unit would reach its full capacity of producing 1,000 MW of power soon, a top official of the plant said here on Thursday.
The first unit is now generating 75 per cent of its capacity. It would reach 100 per cent "shortly", KNPP station director R S Sunder said at a function here.
The country`s first 1,000 MW pressurised water reactor of the Indo-Russian joint venture project attained criticality (start of nuclear fission process) in July last year and commenced electricity generation in October.
The 1000 MW second unit is likely to attain criticality by June.
The commissioning of the plant was delayed considerably due to the protest spearheaded by the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO