KNPP generation touches 400 MW
Tirunelveli : Power generation from Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP) has touched 400 MW, a top official said on Saturday.
The 1000 MW capacity first unit of the Indo-Russian joint venture began power generation on October 22 producing 160 MW which subsequently rose to 280 MW.
The generation touched 400 MW since last night, KNPP Site Director RS Sundar said.
Since the plant was put into operation, it had generated 175 million unit of power and same had been evacuated to the Central Grid, he said.
The augmentation of power generation by KNPP is likely to bring in some relief to Tamil Nadu facing acute shortage of electricity, leading to re-introduction of load-shedding in Chennai and other parts.
The unit attained criticality in July this year after much delay, largely due to protests against the project by anti-nuclear activists in areas around the complex, citing safety reasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened