KNPP hopeful of loading real fuel in August
Chennai: The real fuel loading process at Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project is expected to start in August as nuclear experts` review of the first unit is almost nearing completion, a top plant official said.
"The review process is going on and is almost getting over. Reports are being submitted to the regulator. Going by this, we can say we are hopeful of getting clearance and starting the fuel loading process in August," KNPP Site Director R S Sundar told PTI over phone.
Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (AERB) is holding a series of meetings with Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) in Mumbai to decide on loading the real fuel.
"We have been having meetings. The next one is planned on August 3 and there will be more meetings to finalise on when to start the real fuel loading at Kudankulam," he said.
NPCIL had in June started pre-service inspection of the reactor pressure vessel of the first unit, after which the reports would be submitted to AERB for permission to load real fuel.
The first unit of KNPP, an Indo-Russian joint venture, was scheduled for commissioning in December last, but was bogged down by delay due to protests against the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- M.M. Khan murder: Manish Sisodia accuses hotelier of working under political patronage
- Experts for central epidemiological database to deal with bio-terrorism
- Cleric suspended after selfies with Pakistan`s `Kim Kardashian`
- Taj Mahal, Vaishno Devi among 10 iconic places to be cleaned!
- Deadlock persists as China leads opposition to India's NSG membership bid