KNPP will not affect marine resources: Official
Nagercoil: Vouching for the safety of the
Koodankulam Nuclear Power Project, a top KNPP official on Friday
said it would not affect marine resources nor will sea water
KNNP Station Director RS Sundar described as false
statements that nuclear radiation will contaminate sea
Sea is the only water source for the project work as well
as for drinking purposes and so much care has been taken to
protect the sea resources in the form of using condenser to
cool the water dissipated from the boiler in the station,
he told reporters here.
The central expert team and scientists who inspected the
KNPP and submitted a report had vouched for its safety. Passive
heat removal system has been implemented in the KNPP to cool
down the nuclear reactor in all seasons, he said.
There is multi-step protection to check nuclear
radiation and disasters like tsunami and earthquake will not
affect the nuclear plant, he said after participating in a
conference organised by activists supporting the project.
Meanwhile, former IAS officer MG Devasahayam, after
taking part in an anti-KNPP conference at Kovalam near here,
said instead of a nuclear reactor at Koodankulam, it is
advisable to use coal, oil or gas to generate power and for
that the Centre should take necessary action.
The Indo-Russian joint venture in Tirunelveli district has
run into trouble following protests from locals demanding
scrapping of the project, citing safety concerns following the
Fukushima disaster early this year.
Countering the protests against KNPP, some other activists
have been demanding commissioning of the first reactor in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued