`KNPP will start functioning in a fortnight`
Karaikal: The first unit of the Koodankulam
Nuclear Power Plant will start functioning in 14 days and the
Union government is taking steps to commence power production
with cooperation of the Tamil Nadu government, Union Minister
of State in the PMO V Narayanasamy said on Sunday.
"Several rounds of safety inspections have revealed that
the Plant is very safe and people will not be affected at all.
Former President Dr Abdul Kalam had also explained his views
about the state-of-the-art safety aspects in the Plant. The
expert committee appointed by the Tamil Nadu government had
also completed its duty," he said.
The Union government was taking steps to commence power
production in the Plant with the cooperation of the state
government, he told reporters.
Intelligence inputs and inquiries by the Union Home
Ministry had revealed that certain NGOs were diverting foreign
funds for the anti-nuclear campaign in Koodankulam, he said.
The NGOs in question had received funds for social
services such as helping the physically disabled and
eradication of leprosy and had instead diverted them to
anti-Koodankulam protests, he said. "The Government has
initiated legal action against those NGOs and is also probing
if more NGOs are diverting funds for the protests," he said.
Narayanasamy had said yesterday that licences of three
NGOs active in the Koodankulam region have been cancelled
after a Home Ministry inquiry found they were using funds
meant for social causes to fuel the anti-nuclear protests.
The minister also said the Government was incurring a loss
of Rs 750 crore per month due to the delay in the Plant
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe