`KNPP will start functioning in a fortnight`
Karaikal: The first unit of the Koodankulam
Nuclear Power Plant will start functioning in 14 days and the
Union government is taking steps to commence power production
with cooperation of the Tamil Nadu government, Union Minister
of State in the PMO V Narayanasamy said on Sunday.
"Several rounds of safety inspections have revealed that
the Plant is very safe and people will not be affected at all.
Former President Dr Abdul Kalam had also explained his views
about the state-of-the-art safety aspects in the Plant. The
expert committee appointed by the Tamil Nadu government had
also completed its duty," he said.
The Union government was taking steps to commence power
production in the Plant with the cooperation of the state
government, he told reporters.
Intelligence inputs and inquiries by the Union Home
Ministry had revealed that certain NGOs were diverting foreign
funds for the anti-nuclear campaign in Koodankulam, he said.
The NGOs in question had received funds for social
services such as helping the physically disabled and
eradication of leprosy and had instead diverted them to
anti-Koodankulam protests, he said. "The Government has
initiated legal action against those NGOs and is also probing
if more NGOs are diverting funds for the protests," he said.
Narayanasamy had said yesterday that licences of three
NGOs active in the Koodankulam region have been cancelled
after a Home Ministry inquiry found they were using funds
meant for social causes to fuel the anti-nuclear protests.
The minister also said the Government was incurring a loss
of Rs 750 crore per month due to the delay in the Plant
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days