Koodankulam agitation completes 150th day
Chennai: Protestors against Koodankulam
Nuclear Power Plant on Thursday organized a rally in Tirunelveli
district, marking the completion of 150 days of their
"We completed 150 days of protest today and still we could
not achieve (scrapping of the plant). Also, while we are
protesting, they (the Centre) are talking of commencing work
at the plant…this is ridiculing our protest," SP Udayakumar,
spearheading the agitations against KKNPP said.
Asked about their participation in the fourth round of
talks with the central expert group, he said, "We have not
received any invitation so far from the Collector. We got
to know from the media that it will be on January 31. But, we
have already informed him that the next round of talks will be
held only with our expert committee."
The protestors have formed a 29-member panel with whom
they want the central expert group to discuss.
All three rounds of talks between the state panel and the
central expert group on November 7, 18 and December 15 last
year failed to make any headway towards commissioning of the
first unit at the KNPP located in Tirunelveli district, as
local people protesting against the project were not satisfied
with the replies given by the expert group to their queries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport