Kudankulam-I to begin power production within this month: Govt
New Delhi: Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) in Tamil Nadu, which has been hit by protests, will start power production within this month, Union Minister V Narayanasamy said on Wednesday.
"Yesterday I (had) talked to the officials. They told me clearly that all the parameters are working very well. Now the trial run is going on. The power production (at Kudankulam -I) will start within this month, April itself," Narayanasamy told reporters here.
He said scientists, including those who have come from Russia, have been checking all the systems. "The systems are working well," the Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office said.
Narayanasamy said certain `security considerations` caused the delay in the commissioning of the 1,000 MW-capacity Unit-I of the power project.
The delay took place as the officials were checking every machinery at the plant amid concerns with regard to safety raised by both the civil society and people of that area who have been protesting, he said.
India`s atomic power plant operator, Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd has set up the plant at Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu`s Tirunelveli district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof