Kudankulam N-plant generates 20 percent of capacity
Chennai: The first unit of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) on Monday fed the southern power grid with 20 percent of its rated capacity at an average, stated a report on Tuesday.
The 1,000 MW unit, which was resynchronised with the grid on October 25 night generated 200 MW power at an average on October 28, up from 188 MW generated on October 27, according to a Power System Operation Corporation Ltd report.
Power System Operation Corporation operates the power grids - regional and national - and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
On October 22, the 1,000 MW capacity KNPP unit was synchronised for the first time with the power grid at 2.45 am, and generated 75 MW of power.
The power generation was subsequently increased to 160 MW and nearly two hours later, the unit tripped due to reverse power.
On October 25 at 9.43 pm, the unit was reconnected to the grid and generated around 160 MW.
The power (infirm power) generated by KNPP`s first unit will be supplied to Tamil Nadu as the unit has not started commercial generation.
Only when the unit is declared as commercially operational then the power generated will be shared with other southern states, officials added.
India`s atomic power plant operator Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) has been setting up two 1,000 MW Russian reactors at Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district, around 650 km from here. The total outlay for the project is over Rs 17,000 crore.
KNPP is India`s first pressurised water reactor belonging to the light water reactor category.
The first unit attained criticality July 2013, which is the beginning of the fission process.
In August, the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board gave its nod to KNPP to raise the reactor power levels to 50 percent and for synchronisation of the unit with the power grid.
The Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd earlier said it would connect the first unit to the grid end-August, generating 400 MW power.
But that did not happen due to issues with the equipments the sorting of which and the testing took time.
According to NPCIL officials, the power out at the first unit of KNPP will be increased gradually and by December this year the unit is expected to touch its rated capacity of 1,000 MW.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly