Kudankulam N-plant moves a step closer to commissioning
New Delhi: The much-delayed Kudankulam project on Thursday moved a step towards commissioning with the nuclear regulator granting permission for the `second heat up`, under which all systems of the entire nuclear power plant will be put to test to demonstrate its operability and safety.
The Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP), being built with Russian collaboration, is expected to be commissioned by the month-end to coincide with the visit of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
"We have granted permission for the second heat up today," SS Bajaj, the chairman of the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB), told a news agency.
He said under the second heat up, various systems of the nuclear reactor would be put through performance tests and the process is expected to take around 10 days.
Following these tests, AERB would evaluate the reports of the tests and then give the go-ahead to first approach to criticality, Bajaj said.
After the reactor goes critical, power generation would be stepped up gradually and after it reaches a certain level, the plant would be connected to the grid.
Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) is developing two 1,000 MW nuclear power units at Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu.
AERB had granted permission to load fuel in the first unit of the nuclear power project on August 10 after NPCIL complied with all the conditions laid by it.
A specially-designed robotic arm then began loading 163 bundles of enriched uranium fuel on September 18 and the process was completed on October 02.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days