Kudankulam N-power plant generates 160 MW
Chennai: India`s atomic power plant operator Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) Tuesday generated 160 MW power at its first unit in Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP), said a senior official.
"Unit 1 synchronisation with the power grid done at 2.45 am on Tuesday, generating 75 MW of power. We then increased the power output to 160 MW and maintained that for around two hours before bringing down the power generation," RS Sundar, site director, KNPP told a news agency.
According to him, the unit will generate 300 MW power in two/three days.
"The power generation beyond 400 MW will happen with the permission of AERB (Atomic Energy Regulatory Board). They have asked us to do so," Sundar said.
The NPCIL is setting up two 1,000 MW Russian reactors at Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district, around 650 km from here. The total outlay for the project is over Rs 17,000 crore.
KNPP is India`s first pressurised water reactor belonging to the light water reactor category.
The first unit attained criticality, which is the beginning of the fission process, for the first time in July 2013.
In August, the AERB gave its nod to KNPP to raise the reactor power levels to 50 percent and synchronisation of the unit with the power grid.
The NPCIL earlier said it would connect the first unit to the grid end-August, generating 400 MW power.
But that did not happen due to two condenser valve problems which seemed to have got stuck.
Reacting to the news of connecting the KNPP first unit to the grid G.Sundarrajan of NGO Poovulagin Nanbargal told a news agency: "This is one more scene in the 69-month Kudankulam reactor commissioning drama."
He said: "NPCIL had earlier said it would connect the unit to the grid generating 400 MW but now they say the unit was synchronised with the grid at 75 MW. This is farce."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it