Kudankulam N-power plant generates 876 MW
Chennai: The first 1,000 MW unit at the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) touched a peak power generation of 876 MW on Monday, said Power System Operation Corporation Ltd (POSCO).
However, anti-nuclear power activists questioned when the unit would start commercial operations as it is more than six months since the unit was synchronised with the grid.
According to POSCO, the KNPP unit reached peak power generation of 876 MW and the average generation for the day was 810 MW.
India`s atomic power plant operator Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) is putting up two Russian nuclear power plants at Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district, around 650 km from here.
The NPCIL got the nod from the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) early this month to increase the KNPP first unit`s power levels above 75 percent.
The first unit was connected to the southern grid last October.
Speaking to a news agency, G Sundarrajan, an anti-nulcear power activist who has filed a case against KNPP in the Supreme Court, said: "The first unit was connected to the grid last October and it is more than six months but NPCIL has been postponing the commercial operation of the unit without giving proper reasons."
According to NPCIL, the first KNPP unit is expected to begin its commercial operations this month.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata