Kudankulam protest: ‘NGOs funding being probed’
New Delhi: Government on Thursday said it was still
not proved that the money received by NGOs in Tamil Nadu from
abroad was being used for protests against nuclear power
projects and a probe in this regard is underway.
Speaking in the Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for PMO, V
Narayanasamy also refused to identify the NGOs, which are
under investigation, and said it cannot be divulged as long
as the investigations are not completed.
In his statement, he said preliminary reports indicate
that NGOs in the country, especially those working in and
around Kudankulam area and involved in the agitation against
the nuclear power plant, are receiving funds from certain
"Detailed investigation will reveal the source of funding
and the expenditure pattern of these NGOs, that are opposing
the Kudankulam nuclear power project. CBI inquiry against two
NGOs have been ordered. Two criminal cases have been referred
to Tamil Nadu police for investigation," he said.
Quoting a recent interview of Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh, he said while Singh had very clearly said that the NGOs
from US and Scandinavian countries are sending money to people
who are involved in the protests here, "whether the same money
is being used (to fuel protests here) is not proved."
To repeated questions, he said, "investigations are going
on... so far as investigations are not complete" and refused to
identify the suspected NGOs.
He said as far as the question about the name of NGOs is
concerned, the entire investigation is being carried out by
the Home Ministry.
Referring to an earlier statement of Home Minister P
Chidmabaram on the issue, Narayanasamy said, "We have
identified four NGOs, which are actively involved near
Kudankulam (nuclear power project in Tamil Nadu)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM