Kudankulam protest: ‘NGOs funding being probed’
New Delhi: Government on Thursday said it was still
not proved that the money received by NGOs in Tamil Nadu from
abroad was being used for protests against nuclear power
projects and a probe in this regard is underway.
Speaking in the Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for PMO, V
Narayanasamy also refused to identify the NGOs, which are
under investigation, and said it cannot be divulged as long
as the investigations are not completed.
In his statement, he said preliminary reports indicate
that NGOs in the country, especially those working in and
around Kudankulam area and involved in the agitation against
the nuclear power plant, are receiving funds from certain
"Detailed investigation will reveal the source of funding
and the expenditure pattern of these NGOs, that are opposing
the Kudankulam nuclear power project. CBI inquiry against two
NGOs have been ordered. Two criminal cases have been referred
to Tamil Nadu police for investigation," he said.
Quoting a recent interview of Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh, he said while Singh had very clearly said that the NGOs
from US and Scandinavian countries are sending money to people
who are involved in the protests here, "whether the same money
is being used (to fuel protests here) is not proved."
To repeated questions, he said, "investigations are going
on... so far as investigations are not complete" and refused to
identify the suspected NGOs.
He said as far as the question about the name of NGOs is
concerned, the entire investigation is being carried out by
the Home Ministry.
Referring to an earlier statement of Home Minister P
Chidmabaram on the issue, Narayanasamy said, "We have
identified four NGOs, which are actively involved near
Kudankulam (nuclear power project in Tamil Nadu)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- Rags to riches: Bihar welder's son bags Rs 1 crore job offer with Microsoft