Kudankulam: Protesters ‘ready for talks’
Tirunelveli (TN): Continuing his fast against
the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant, convener of People`s
Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) S P Udayakumar on Monday
said the protesters were "ready" for talks.
"We are ready for talks. If we are considered people of
this country and if our ahimsa protest is respected,
government should talk to us. They should treat us like Indian
people," Udayakumar, on an indefinite fast since March 12
along with his supporters, told reporters in Idinthakarai near
here, the epicentre of the stir against the project.
He said it was regrettable that the government was
suddenly "belittling" the protesters by accusing them of
having links with Maoists and foreign countries.
Observing that the protesters met Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh once and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa twice as
part of their dialogue process, he said, "suddenly to describe
and portray us as having links with Naxals and as anti-
nationals, demeans people who have faith in democracy."
The anti-nuclear activists of PMANE have been on an
indefinite fast after Tamil Nadu government gave its go-ahead
to the Indo-Russian nuclear project on March 19, after which
work at the plant is on in full swing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack