Kudankulam to begin power production this month
New Delhi: Power production by the first unit of the Kudankulam atomic plant will start this month, Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office V. Narayanasamy said Wednesday.
He said that the second unit would start production by October. Narayanasamy told reporters here that Indian and Russian scientists had checked the parameters of the plant and the system was working well.
"All parameters are working well. Power production will start this month," he said.
He said the Kudankulam plant figured during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin on the margins of the BRICS Summit in Durban, South Africa.
The minister said India told Russia that the power production in the first unit would start in April.
The first unit has a capacity of 1,000 MW. It is being implemented in the southern Tamil Nadu town of Kudankulam near Tirunelveli, by the state-run Nuclear Power Corporation of India and the Russian nuclear energy company Atomstroyexport.
He said India and Russia had signed agreement on the construction of third and fourth units of the atomic power plant.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case