Land grabbing: Another ex-DMK minister arrested
Chennai: Senior DMK leader and former Tamil
Nadu Minister K Ponmudi was today arrested in a land grabbing
Ponmudi, former higher education minister, was arrested
from his native Villupuram, 160 km from here, police said.
He is the fourth former minister after Veerapandi S
Arumugam (Salem), K N Nehru (Tiruchirappalli) and N K K P Raja
(Erode) to be arrested on land grabbing charges in the
crackdown launched by the Jayalalithaa Government on land
Besides these four, several other DMK functionaries
including MLAs J Anbazhagan (Chepauk) and Soundarapandian
(Lalgudi) and some close associates of Union Minister M K
Alagiri have been arrested by the police in the past three
months, an action dubbed as political vendetta by the
Jayalalithaa had recently announced that her government
had returned over Rs 400 crore worth land to its rightful
owners since it came to power three months ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore