Land grabbing: Madras HC to set up 25 spl courts
Chennai: The Madras High Court will set up
25 special courts in Tamil Nadu to hear land grabbing cases.
The High Court`s Administrative Committee has accepted
the reasons given by ruling AIADMK to justify the creation of
such courts and decided to create them in a phased manner, the
press release said.
Initially special courts would be set up in Tirunelveli,
Krishnagiri, Salem, Erode and Tirupur, it said.
Justifying need for the special courts, the government
had said a large number of complaints of land grabbing had been
received throughout the state and the number of cases, ready
for trial, "is also increasing and therefore, there is a
necessity for immediate constitution of special courts".
On the government`s request for constitution of 25
courts, the Madras High Court had wanted a corresponding
increase in the cadre strength of Judicial Officers, in the
rank of civil judge (junior division) and also the requisite
The government has accepted the High Court`s requirements
and had issued orders in this regard, the press note said.
Many DMK leaders, including some former Ministers, have
been arrested in connection with alleged land grabbing cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what