Land row: Former DMK MLA lands in police net
Chennai: In the continuing crackdown by
the AIADMK Government on land grabbing, a former DMK MLA was Tuesday arrested for his alleged role in a case.
Ranganathan was arrested here this morning based on a
complaint, police said.
DMK senior leader Veerapandi S Arumugam, Chepauk constituency MLA J Anbazhagan and close aides of Union Minister M K Alagiri, have already been arrested in connection with land grab charges.
Turning up the heat on DMK, the state government had formed a special cell to exclusively deal with the land
Party President M Karunanidhi has termed the arrests
as `vendetta politics` but Chief Minister Jayalalithaa denied
the charge, saying the special police cells were acting on
"genuine" complaints by "affected" persons with no political
The DMK had staged a state-wide protest yesterday,
saying police were "foisting" such cases against its members.
The crackdown is the result of an electoral promise by
Jayalalithaa during the assembly elections that she would take
action against land grabbing during DMK rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state