Land row: Former DMK MLA lands in police net
Chennai: In the continuing crackdown by
the AIADMK Government on land grabbing, a former DMK MLA was Tuesday arrested for his alleged role in a case.
Ranganathan was arrested here this morning based on a
complaint, police said.
DMK senior leader Veerapandi S Arumugam, Chepauk constituency MLA J Anbazhagan and close aides of Union Minister M K Alagiri, have already been arrested in connection with land grab charges.
Turning up the heat on DMK, the state government had formed a special cell to exclusively deal with the land
Party President M Karunanidhi has termed the arrests
as `vendetta politics` but Chief Minister Jayalalithaa denied
the charge, saying the special police cells were acting on
"genuine" complaints by "affected" persons with no political
The DMK had staged a state-wide protest yesterday,
saying police were "foisting" such cases against its members.
The crackdown is the result of an electoral promise by
Jayalalithaa during the assembly elections that she would take
action against land grabbing during DMK rule.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar's bail may be cancelled by Delhi High Court - Know why
- Prashant Bhushan takes dig at Smriti Irani, says 'Will HRD be renamed Hindu Rashtra Development Ministry?'
- Japan gives up on failed black hole research satellite
- Notice issued to Priyanka Gandhi Vadra over her land deal in Shimla
- PM Modi tests performance of BJP MPs on social media; Sushma Swaraj emerges star performer