Lankan army illegally encroaching lands of Tamils: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Friday alleged efforts were being made to takeover lands belonging to ethnic Tamils by Sri Lankan army and sought the intervention of India and the UN in this matter.
In a letter to partymen, Karunanidhi alleged 6,381 acres of land belonging to Tamils had been "illegally encroached upon" by Lankan Army at Valigamam since 1990 and it was expected that they would be returned to the Tamils after the end of the war against LTTE.
In such a situation, the Sri Lankan government had issued orders to take over the land for the army, he alleged, adding that similar efforts were happening at Jaffna, Kilinocchi, Mullaithivu and Vavuniya among others.
Further, temples and churches used by Tamils had been demolished and made way for Buddhist places of worship, he alleged.
"I insist that Indian government and the UN intervene immediately and retrieve the land of Tamils to enable them to continue to live there and take steps for Lankan army`s exit (from Tamil-dominated) areas," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India