Lankan army illegally encroaching lands of Tamils: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Friday alleged efforts were being made to takeover lands belonging to ethnic Tamils by Sri Lankan army and sought the intervention of India and the UN in this matter.
In a letter to partymen, Karunanidhi alleged 6,381 acres of land belonging to Tamils had been "illegally encroached upon" by Lankan Army at Valigamam since 1990 and it was expected that they would be returned to the Tamils after the end of the war against LTTE.
In such a situation, the Sri Lankan government had issued orders to take over the land for the army, he alleged, adding that similar efforts were happening at Jaffna, Kilinocchi, Mullaithivu and Vavuniya among others.
Further, temples and churches used by Tamils had been demolished and made way for Buddhist places of worship, he alleged.
"I insist that Indian government and the UN intervene immediately and retrieve the land of Tamils to enable them to continue to live there and take steps for Lankan army`s exit (from Tamil-dominated) areas," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming