Lankan army illegally encroaching lands of Tamils: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Friday alleged efforts were being made to takeover lands belonging to ethnic Tamils by Sri Lankan army and sought the intervention of India and the UN in this matter.
In a letter to partymen, Karunanidhi alleged 6,381 acres of land belonging to Tamils had been "illegally encroached upon" by Lankan Army at Valigamam since 1990 and it was expected that they would be returned to the Tamils after the end of the war against LTTE.
In such a situation, the Sri Lankan government had issued orders to take over the land for the army, he alleged, adding that similar efforts were happening at Jaffna, Kilinocchi, Mullaithivu and Vavuniya among others.
Further, temples and churches used by Tamils had been demolished and made way for Buddhist places of worship, he alleged.
"I insist that Indian government and the UN intervene immediately and retrieve the land of Tamils to enable them to continue to live there and take steps for Lankan army`s exit (from Tamil-dominated) areas," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state