Lankan Buddhist priest roughed up in TN
Thanjavur: As anti-Sri Lankan protests raged in several parts of Tamil Nadu, a Buddhist priest from the island, currently pursuing archaeological studies in Delhi University, was roughed up by some activists of pro-Tamil outfits at the famous Big Temple here on Saturday, police said.
The priest was rescued by police, who rushed to the spot on getting information, they said adding 12 persons had been arrested in connection with the incident.
The Sri Lankan has come here as part of an 19-member delegation of students for archaeological research at the more than 1000-year old Brahadeeswarar temple, also known as Big Temple.
As the students were going around the temple, a group of activists belonging to various outfits including MDMK and Naam Tamizhar Katchi singled out the Sri Lankan, clad in saffron robes, and beat him up, police said.
They shouted slogans demanding that the priest leave Tamil Nadu. The Lankan national was escorted safely to the local Archaeological office from where the students left in a van to Tiruchirappalli enroute to Chennai.
However, when the van was nearing Tiruchirapalli, some unidentified persons pelted stones and chappals on it near Ariyamangalam.
The van suffered some damage but the occupants escaped unhurt, police said adding later they escorted the students to the airport. The Sri Lankan national left for Chennai by a flight, police added.
The incident comes amid mounting anti-Sri Lankan protests in the state in the past few weeks with pro-Tamil activists targetting Lankan pilgrims and establishments including an airline over the Lankan Tamils issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore